Friday, July 30, 2010

Maybe It's Just Because I Follow So Many Catholic Mommy Blogs...

...but the posts I read always seem to be wonderfully overlapping. Here are two from two blogs I always enjoy:

A Woman's Place on the vocation of Mothermood at Mass
Betty Duffy on the Holy kindness of strangers


Our son is still charmingly well-behaved at Mass (for a 3 month old who loves to be constantly bounced or walked, he politely allows himself to be cradled in our laps with nary a squeak. Ok, maybe a tiny squeak. But he is so darn cute that even the most hardened elderly parishioner's icy glare melts when they turn around in their pew and see him calmly batting his eyelashes at them.) Anyway, the occasional Sunday when either my husband or I need to quickly bring Baby D to the cry room (or outside, like at our previous church which lacked such a room) always makes me think, should there really be a designated place to store our children so the Mass can continue in peace? I'm all for removing a screaming child from the situation (and we've all experienced the ear-piercing wail of our own child or another's at Mass) but why is there a special spot, a kind of limbo, where a parent and child can tangentially experience the Mass without annoying another parishioners? And what of those parents who completely bypass the pews and begin Mass behind the soundproof glass - will this be my husband and I someday? And why don't churches built before the 60s have these magic rooms? Hmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. This is a good question.

    I don't know the answer!

    Love,

    Me

    ReplyDelete