Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Happy 3 Month Birthday, Baby D!

Three months! Where o where does the time go? Looking back through my log of old posts, I realized that I had written one on his 1 and 2 month birthdays, and never finished/published them. So this post combines all three into a super-mega-fantastic post. So let's work our way backwards, shall we? Here we are, Baby D, three months after the day you were born. I used to call you Little Man because of your old man hairline but now you really are a little man! You smile and respond and laugh and coo; you can hold your head up (somewhat) and you can even support some of your own body weight on your legs! We don't even swaddle you anymore, so we find you in all sorts of crazy places all over your crib when we check on you at night. Boy do you like to travel around your bed! But not in the car - you hate the carseat, with its confining belts and gadgets. Even a baby mirror and my singing can only entertain you for so long before you start to wail - a horrible noise that you really only make when strapped into that seat. Which makes me want to cry, because I can't pick you up! But you're really just not that into crying (except at the end of a very long day). Instead, you have this kind of yell, like you're calling out to us - hey, feed me! entertain me! love me! You're just a happy kid who likes to spend time with people, even if it's just sitting on the front porch and watching the trees move in the breeze. And I could spend all day with you, Baby D, watching you smile at the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whew! Happy 2 months, Baby D! All three of us have survived many, many sleep deprived (but wonderful!) days. And now you smile! You coo! You're actually quite chatty. You like to watch light and shadows, stare out windows, take baths before bedtime, play with your hands, and kick your legs constantly. It's like you woke up one morning and realized there's a whole big world out there. We have to carry you facing away from us now, so you can look at absolutely everything while we tote you around. But you still love to snuggle and be held while you fall asleep - thank goodness! I wouldn't want my little man growing up too fast. As difficult and trying and exhausting as these months have been, there is nothing as delightful and absolutely breathtaking as watching you really come alive and find the world around you. Even a ceiling fan or a leaf blowing in the breeze is mesmerizing when you contemplate it the way a baby does. And it's even more enthralling and magical to watch the baby as he watches the world. Thank you for this gift, Baby D.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby D is finally one month old! Part of me can hardly believe it's been a month already, and part of me feels like it has been forever. It's been a rough four weeks - we're all waiting anxiously for that first smile to reward us for all the late nights and endless diaper changes. But there are little glimmers of development along the way - he grabbed my shirt! he held his head up for 10 seconds instead of 5! he noticed himself in the mobile mirror! Something so small seems so big when you witness a human doing it for the first time ever. I can't wait to see what's coming next, D.

1 comment:

  1. Catherine!

    Congratulations to all three of you. I am so happy to hear that you guys have started the family you want and deserve, and that you are enjoying motherhood despite its infinite challenges.

    It's wonderful to see you starting out on this amazing journey...it ain't easy, but it's also about a billion times more rewarding than you can ever imagine before embarking on it. I'm so happy for you...and your little man has some awesome folks for his parents; I have no doubt that he will thrive.

    I also commend you on writing to him each month, (even if you don't finish or post it!)...it really is such a gift, to him, and to yourself. Cliche, but true; they grow up so fast...it won't be long before your looking back over those little messages, filled with wistful nostalgia.

    Congratulations again, and I look forward to following your journey and getting to watch him grow, through his mama's eyes.
    Love to you all,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete